Can you believe it is already mid-October...? Or, in Ohio State speak, can you believe it is already the 5th week of the quarter?!
These next few weeks are critical for your student's long-term success, so here are a few things to keep your eyes on:
• Students should be checking their Student Service Center page regularly! This is located at Buckeyelink.osu.edu. This is where students will see their bills and any remaining balances, schedule classes, waive health insurance and a whole host of other business activities.
• Freshmen should have received an email telling them when their 'scheduling appointment' begins. This is the time frame when your student should be logging on to their Student Center page and scheduling next quarters' classes. If they have questions about which classes to schedule, they should be calling 419-995-8264 to schedule an appointment with the academic advisors. Advising schedules get tight right around scheduling windows, so he sooner they call the better!
• Mid-terms for most classes are beginning soon! The Learning Center provides FREE tutoring and academic support.
• If your student decides to drop a class, they need to be sure to touch base with academic advising AND Financial Aid first. Sometimes it feels like an easier solution to drop a class than to struggle through it, but there can be long-term and costly impacts depending on the student's individual circumstances.
• As the new school year kicks into high gear, Lima Counseling and Consultation Services is offering students a mental health check-up on October 27 from 10 a.m.-2p.m. in Galvin Hall 107 as part of National Depression Screening Day. Students will have an opportunity to take a brief, anonymous online screening. The screening provides important insight into symptoms of depression and offers treatment and referral information, if necessary
• And finally, there are numerous FUN activities scheduled in the coming weeks-Homecoming Week; a Pumpkin Carving Contest; Faculty and Staff vs Student Flag Football Game; Career Services Lunch and Learns and more! http://lima.osu.edu/calendar/index.php These co-curricular activities are what can help balance out the stress of university coursework-encourage them to get involved!
Please let me know if you have any questions.