The Ohio state University at Lima
Adopted 29 March 1967
(revised and approved on: September 1983; 1 April 1986; 31 May 1988; 15 March 1994; May 22, 2001, April 23, 2003, Jan 18, 2008, March 9, 2010, April 14, 2010)
1. Appointed Committees
(1) The members of the Faculty Welfare and Professional Development Committee are 8 volunteers appointed by the President of the Assembly. Unless specified otherwise, appointments are for one year and are made in April. One member is to be designated Computer Services Overseer and one member Bookstore Overseer. (Minutes 10/9/69, 1/13/79, 10/5/84 and 11/l/84, 05/22/01)
2. Elected Committees.
Representatives to all committees are elected in May. All officers of the Faculty Assembly and committees members will assume their offices effective June 15th of each year. In the absence of any of the new officers at any time during the summer the outgoing officers will act as necessary with full powers. For committees without a chairman of record the assembly president will appoint a chairperson by September 30 of each year. Each committee will prepare a report for the assembly at least once a year. (Minutes 11/l/84, 5/3/89 and 4/25/01)
(1) The Research and Special Projects Committee is composed of 6 members, serving two-year staggered terms. The committee shall be composed of faculty members with the rank of Assistant Professor or above. (Minutes 1/15/76, 11/3/83, 10/5/84, 11/l/84)
(2) The Cultural Affairs Committee is composed of 6 OSU and 6 LTC faculty and up to 8 students. The OSU faculty representatives are elected for staggered two-year terms. (Minutes 5/12/78, 6/5/81, 10/5/84, and 11/l/85)
(3) The Budget Committee shall consist of 6 elected faculty members, the Dean and Director of the Campus (or designee,) and the Associate Director/Business Officer who are ex-officio members. The six faculty members shall be elected to three year terms. No single department shall have more than one member on the committee. In order to establish staggered terms for the 2003 election two faculty shall be elected for one year, two faculty shall be elected for two year terms, and the remaining two faculty shall be elected to three year terms. (Minutes 10/6/78, 1/12/79, 3/6/80, 11/l/84, 5/22/01, and 4/23/03)
(4) The Academic Planning Committee is composed of 6 members of the Assembly along with one ex-officio member, the Associate Dean or designee. The faculty representatives are elected to staggered two-year terms. Whenever a member of the Faculty Assembly is on research-assignment for an entire year, committee memberships held by that colleague will be vacated. The Faculty assembly will then appoint a new member to fill the remainde3r of each vacated term. Ad hoc non voting student members may be invited as appropriate. (Minutes 12/3/76, 4/6/79, 4/13/81, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 11/7/89, 0/7//93, 5/22/01, and 4/14/2010)
(5) The Honors Committee us composed of 5 members elected to staggered two year terms. (The Honors Committee performs the yearly function previously performed by the OSU representatives to the Academic Awards Committee.) The Honors Director is ex-officio. (Minutes 5/5/77, 11/20/78, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, and 6/3/91)
(6) The Library Committee consists of 4 OSU faculty and the Librarians with faculty rank who are ex-officio members. The OSU faculty representatives are elected to staggered two-year terms. (Minutes 11/4/82, 9/19/83, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 10/l/86 and 5/22/01)
(7) The Faculty Salary Advisory Committee is composed of the following elected members: 2 faculty from Humanities; 1 faculty from the Arts; 2 faculty from Social Science/Education; and 2 faculty from Physical Sciences/Mathematics. The representatives are elected to two-year staggered terms. Elections to this committee occur in the Fall of each year. (Minutes 10/l/82, 9/1983, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 10/l/86 and 5/22/01)
(8) The Computer Committee is composed of 4 members, serving two-year staggered terms. Ad hoc non voting student members may be invited to serve as appropriate. (Minutes 5/21/84, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 5/22/01 and 4-14-2010)
(9) (a) The Teaching Effectiveness Committee is charged with arranging mentoring, training, and other services that promote quality teaching for all faculty and with providing a representative to the annual campus Teaching Excellence Award Selection Committee.
(b)The Teaching Effectiveness Committee shall consist of 6 assembly members including at least 3 tenure track faculty elected to staggered three year terms and at least one member with the rank of "Lecturer" elected to a three year term. The committee may also invite ad hoc non voting student members. (Minutes 9/24/91 5/21/01, 4/23/03, 1/16/08, and 4-14-2010)
(10). The Strategic Planning Committee shall be composed of four administrators chosen by the Dean and Director, four faculty members elected by the Faculty Assembly, and four staff elected by the Staff Council.
a) Two faculty members shall be elected each May to two year terms on the Strategic Planning Committee to begin their terms at the beginning of the following academic year.
b) To provide overlap in 2005, two faculty members on the existing ad hoc committee will serve for an additional year. (Minutes 12/17/04)
(11) Undergraduate Research and Mentoring Committee. URMC Members:Six faculty members, elected through faculty assembly elections, shall serve on the URMC. Each person should represent a different college within the university. Members will serve a 2-year term. Members can be re-elected for multiple terms. The chair of the committee should not serve as chair for longer than 2 consecutive terms (i.e., 4 consecutive years). Ad hoc non voting student members may also be invited to serve as appropriate. (Minutes 4-14-2010)
3. Annual election of Assembly committee chairpersons.
Each appointed and elected committee in sections 1 and 2 above will meet annually prior to the November Assembly meeting to elect a committee chairperson who will serve for the current academic year. The name of this individual will be forwarded to the Assembly President and Secretary. Early in the academic year the Assembly President will designate for each committee a temporary chairperson whose job will be to arrange the first committee meeting. (Minutes 1/20/05)
4. Other Representatives.
(1) The Faculty Assembly also elects, in accordance with the rules of the University Senate, a representative and an alternate-representative to the University Senate. These representatives are elected in December for a three-year term beginning the following September.
(2) The Faculty Assembly sends 3 representatives to the Regional Campus Faculty Council. These are the President of the Assembly, the representative to the University Senate, and a third representative elected by the Assembly in April to a one-year term beginning the following September.
(3) The Faculty Assembly shall elect a five-member Administrators' Review Committee from the full time faculty. Evaluations shall occur in alternate years (one administrator in each year) with no evaluation coming before the second year of a new incumbent. Each member shall serve for two years; with three members elected in the spring before the evaluation of the Dean, and two before the evaluation of the Associate Dean. (Minutes 3/5/84 and 3/7/90)
(4) The Promotion and Tenure Committee shall consist of 6 members of the Faculty Assembly, appointed by the Dean and Director of the Campus from tenured faculty.
(5) The New Personnel Committee is composed of five members appointed by the Associate Dean in consultation with the President of the Faculty assembly: (one each from the following areas: Arts; Humanities; Natural Science and Mathematics; Social Sciences and Library; and Education). -In addition, for each departmental search, there will be a representative from the departmental search, there will be a representative from the department in which a vacancy will occur that year. (Minutes 5/10/88 and 5/22/01)